I Went Snowshoeing!

Noob Boost

Noob Boost

By boosting this video, it'll be moved to the "Featured Vlogs Videos" section on the Vlogs page where it'll get much more exposure. Select how long you want this video to be featured.

Allow 24-48 hours for your order to be processed.

74   163   194.9
Award Fame Send Message
Composed Commander
FreakShack
Composed Commander
VLOG 25 // DECEMBER 3, 2016 // MOUNT RAINIER, WA

I went snowshoeing to Reflection Lakes at Mount Rainier National Park as we prepare weekly to snowshoe the larger peaks. This video is partly a vlog and partly a cinematic video of all the snow! 

Let me know what you think. I'd love to know what you liked, and what you think I could do better. I'm really going to try and dedicate more time to this channel in the coming weeks and to learning more about cameras and video editing. I feel like I really haven't been giving it my all and I've been very disappointed with many of my videos up to this point, so thank you for sticking with me and encouraging me. I can only get better. 

Follow My Adventures:
http://instagram.com/chasecharaba

Comments

28   86   110.9
Award Fame Send Message
Limp Lieutenant
OurGeekyFamBam
Limp Lieutenant
Man it sounded super windy, but the fuzzy thing must work well because we could still here you clear! Bummer about the brightness on some of the scenes.
8   50   67.7
Award Fame Send Message
Limp Lieutenant
TheGonzFamily
Limp Lieutenant
Breathtaking scenery! I love the PNW and have been to Rainier NP quite a few times when visiting my sisters (I'm from NY but 2 of my sisters live in WA).

Just a quick tip...adjusting the ISO on your camera can help to fix the overexposure issues you were having due to the light reflecting off the snow. 

Nice video :)
9   24   34
Award Fame Send Message
Crappy Cadet
Yintrospection
Crappy Cadet
Hey! What I really liked most was the music. Was it from the YouTube library? The feel for me was just right, it reminded me of watching snowboarding videos- which I can do for hours, I love them. The way that they went with panning shots was great.
What kind of camera do you use? Of course the light was so bright so we couldn't see much in the beginning. I would recommend shooting a few shots with the same "scene" so that you can choose what looks best when you edit. Sometimes it's just plain better to film later in the day or earlier, depending where you are and what the light is like, so if you can either 1) plan it out or 2) shoot multiple shots at different times you can really put together the best video.
I would also say if a scene looks bad, but you need whatever you're saying in the clip to make the video flow, just trim it as short as possible so you don't lose the viewer with a too-bright, washed-out shot. I state all of this from the perspective of someone who just uses an iPhone and has to make a lot of cutting decisions based on the quality that it can produce.
My final critique is just on time. This is a really long video for what it is, and that could be fine but according to panels at VidCon, as you grow your channel, videos should stay under five minutes or we risk people not even giving it a view because they think it's too long. I only make a video over five minutes when it's either absolutely necessary, like an interview situation, or if it's for me to enjoy, like a trip I took or something.
Hope this is helpful!
74   163   194.9
Award Fame Send Message
Composed Commander
FreakShack
Composed Commander
(12-16-2016, 04:55 AM)OurGeekyFamBam Wrote: Man it sounded super windy, but the fuzzy thing must work well because we could still here you clear! Bummer about the brightness on some of the scenes.

It was very windy in the parking lot and at times as we were snowshoeing, though I've been in worse wind on some of our summer night hikes. It works pretty well, but sometimes it doesn't and the audio is ruined (like when I went to Diablo Lake in August). 

I definitely could have fixed the brightness, and look back I should have done another take. Oh well.

Thanks for watching.

(12-18-2016, 02:16 PM)TheGonzFamily Wrote: Breathtaking scenery! I love the PNW and have been to Rainier NP quite a few times when visiting my sisters (I'm from NY but 2 of my sisters live in WA).

Just a quick tip...adjusting the ISO on your camera can help to fix the overexposure issues you were having due to the light reflecting off the snow. 

Nice video :)

It really is amazing up there, and there's something different in every season. I don't know why I didn't change my settings when I started recording. I did later on when we had gone a few miles up the trail, but I really should have made sure everything was good at the start.

(12-25-2016, 12:30 PM)Yintrospection Wrote: Hey! What I really liked most was the music. Was it from the YouTube library? The feel for me was just right, it reminded me of watching snowboarding videos- which I can do for hours, I love them. The way that they went with panning shots was great.
What kind of camera do you use? Of course the light was so bright so we couldn't see much in the beginning. I would recommend shooting a few shots with the same "scene" so that you can choose what looks best when you edit. Sometimes it's just plain better to film later in the day or earlier, depending where you are and what the light is like, so if you can either 1) plan it out or 2) shoot multiple shots at different times you can really put together the best video.
I would also say if a scene looks bad, but you need whatever you're saying in the clip to make the video flow, just trim it as short as possible so you don't lose the viewer with a too-bright, washed-out shot. I state all of this from the perspective of someone who just uses an iPhone and has to make a lot of cutting decisions based on the quality that it can produce.
My final critique is just on time. This is a really long video for what it is, and that could be fine but according to panels at VidCon, as you grow your channel, videos should stay under five minutes or we risk people not even giving it a view because they think it's too long. I only make a video over five minutes when it's either absolutely necessary, like an interview situation, or if it's for me to enjoy, like a trip I took or something.
Hope this is helpful!

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write out such a long response. Most people don't take the time to do that. 

The song is "Loudness & Clarity" by Joakim Karud. He makes music on SoundCloud and all you have to do to use his music on YouTube is to fill out the form that his page links to and to provide the required attribution method to your video description. I use a lot of his music because the Audio Library never really does it for me.

I use a Canon EOS 80D, which is an amazing camera for the price. I just need to pay more attention and reshoot clips like you said. I usually just kind of shoot and run with it, especially while hiking because my brothers try to rush up the mountain and rush down, so there is never really time to adjust the settings. However, there is no excuse for the parking lot scenes. I should have changed the settings. 

This is actually one of my shorter vlogs. Haha. I'm getting better at keeping only the essential content, but I see and understand your point. I've always kind of focused on the desktop viewer audience which tended to watch longer videos, but as of the last two months I now have more mobile viewers, so I'll be trying to do some shorter, more mobile-friendly videos and thumbnails. 

Thank you so much for watching and giving me a critique. It is much appreciated.

9   24   34
Award Fame Send Message
Crappy Cadet
Yintrospection
Crappy Cadet
(12-29-2016, 08:35 PM)FreakShack Wrote: First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write out such a long response. Most people don't take the time to do that. 

The song is "Loudness & Clarity" by Joakim Karud. He makes music on SoundCloud and all you have to do to use his music on YouTube is to fill out the form that his page links to and to provide the required attribution method to your video description. I use a lot of his music because the Audio Library never really does it for me.

I use a Canon EOS 80D, which is an amazing camera for the price. I just need to pay more attention and reshoot clips like you said. I usually just kind of shoot and run with it, especially while hiking because my brothers try to rush up the mountain and rush down, so there is never really time to adjust the settings. However, there is no excuse for the parking lot scenes. I should have changed the settings. 

This is actually one of my shorter vlogs. Haha. I'm getting better at keeping only the essential content, but I see and understand your point. I've always kind of focused on the desktop viewer audience which tended to watch longer videos, but as of the last two months I now have more mobile viewers, so I'll be trying to do some shorter, more mobile-friendly videos and thumbnails. 

Thank you so much for watching and giving me a critique. It is much appreciated.

My pleasure to provide critique! I think people don't realize that the more you put into critiquing someone else's work, while adding to their knowledge or understanding, you are bettering your own work or at least creating an opportunity for something in your brain to click. I learned a lot from watching your vlog! And thank you so much for recommending that music, I'm stoked to have a new resource. Seriously, you're right, the YouTube audio library has GOT to expand.
17   34   46.7
Award Fame Send Message
Crappy Cadet
mikeandmyboys
Crappy Cadet
I've never been snowshoeing and this makes me want to do it! So overall I would say this is a nice vlog! I loved how it ended with the dark nighttime timelapse and music. Also dug a lot of the scenery shots that were in here. Very white and beautiful!